« Is Blair pissing himself? | Main | New Regiment »

Why cleanliness matters

BBC NEWS | Girl amputee, 6, catches MRSA bug

The family of a six-year-old girl who had her hands and feet amputated after contracting meningitis have confirmed she has caught MRSA.

"She's a six-year-old girl. She's fought her way back from death with meningitis.

"She then had to have a quadruple amputation, then a week later she had to have skin grafts. She's a little girl who's been through enough. I am devastated."

She added: "The doctors, they have done their best. They saved my granddaughter's life, there's no doubt about that.

"But there are big doubts and big question marks over cleanliness and I am angry."

And so it should make all of us - if you have children the story is beyond horror.

Comments

When my father-in-law was dying, one of his doctors told us that he'd caught MRSA. When the old boy was dead, the consultant denied that it had been MRSA. My guess: they hadn't bothered with a culture, or whatever test is needed, to prove that the infection was MRSA, so that indeed they wouldn't know for sure that it was MRSA. Then with careful phrasing, a non-denial denial would perhaps fool most people.

Dearieme

Possibly, but it's not as likely as you might think. I can't imagine the junior doctor would have mentioned MRSA if there hadn't been some microbiology evidence to back it up, and swabs would usually be taken to check the best antibiotics were being given.

Post a comment