« A Salty Sea Tale | Main | Bum Fodder News »

Send forth the best ye breed

Scotsman.com News - Scotland - Money worries tempt OAPs to up sticks for new life abroad

PENSIONERS are leaving Scotland in record numbers to escape escalating taxes and inflation, new figures have revealed...."Many people who contact us are fed up with Scotland. They say the country is going down the tubes and that they don't see any future here."

One recent poll found that a third of those reaching retirement age planned to move abroad...

"In this country, people often feel put upon and are looking for a brighter, less stressful life, so they move abroad."

And it isn't just the old who have had enough of this demi-paradise..


The British are the most footloose people in the world. Not only do more British live abroad than any other nationality, they are also more spread out.

There are 41 countries with more than 10,000 British living there and another 71 countries with more than 1,000. The levels of emigration are now back to those last seen in the late-1950s and early 1960s, when the "ten-pound Poms" left in their droves for Australia, enticed by subsidised travel and settlement.

They are even higher than the last great exodus before the First World War, when the outflow was running at 300,000 per annum and more young men were leaving the country every year than died on the battlefields of Europe.

The latest research shows that far from being pensioners looking for a retirement in the sun, many leaving today are young and highly skilled. Four in ten emigrating in 2004 were in managerial or professional occupations.

Will the last one to leave please turn out the lights.

Comments

When Blair, Brown and Milliband have driven the last of the freeborn English persons overseas, they'll be able to stand-up and claim, as the tumbleweed rolls down the A1, we've cut carbon emissions by 95%. The remaining 5% being their essential gas-guzzling cars and overseas flights.

Post a comment