Knives in School
Security guards will be able to search pupils for knives at the school gates without their consent under government guidance to be published today...
Any school instituing such a policy is reminded that it should follow a suitable code in regard to the wearing of knives for Religous reasons:
The purpose of this document is to address concerns arising from the Sikh tradition of carrying the Kirpan, a ceremonial sword or dagger. It provides advice to schools that applies specifically to male members of the Sikh community.
The aims of this guidance are to:
• Ensure religious tolerance and harmony within schools serving diverse religious and ethnic communities
• Encourage and value pupils’ religious and cultural practices
• Ensure the health, safety and well being of all pupils.
• There should be no objection to the practice of wearing the five K’s, including the Kirpan.....
• The Kirpan should not be more than 6 inches in length (including both blade and handle) and the blade should not exceed 3 inches in length; the Kirpan should always be sheathed and worn out of sight...
No news yet if the freedom to carry a knife into school also applies to those ethnics from north of the border and their sgian dubhs...